The first minister for New Park St was Rev. William Davies
although a Mr J.D.Jones of Rickmansworth had been invited but declined the offer. The first speaker in the church was Lord Teynham who was the guest preacher on the opening day. Some may argue that the first preacher was Rev. Charles Haddon Spurgeon who conducted services in Holyhead around the laying of the foundation stone.
The following ministers also served the church up to 1894
Rev. John Williams
Rev Joseph Davies
Rev. William Saunders
Rev. Gomer Evans 1894-1906
After several ministers during the initial 30 years, Rev. Gomer Evans became the Pastor at New Park St and remained during what was described as a 'happy and prosperous time' no doubt helped personally by his marriage to Catherine Relf, the church organist. In 1906, he received a unanimous call to the pastorate at Rhyl Baptist Church and his final sunday was October 28th 1906.
As a matter of some interest the church received a visit in 2016 from a Mrs Judith Evans-Brown from Norfolk Virginia. She was able to tell us that Gomer Evans was her grandfather and had emigrated to the USA to continue his ministry in the Welsh speaking churches principally in Pennsylvania. Her father, Gwilym Alfred Evans was born in 1908 in Rhyl.
Baker St Mission 1901-1960
From the account sheets of 1899, 1900 and 1901 for New Park St it would appear that Baker St Mission began its life on May 12th 1901 and just nine years later in 1910 there were reported 107 children, 8 teachers and an average attendance of 70 at evening services. The need for a larger mission room was evident and on March 6th 1929 the new Baker St Mission was opened. The Mission lasted until around 1960 when changes in housing, the movement of people and a greater prosperity signalled its demise.
Rev. J.B.Ashton 1907-1909
Rev. Ashton came to New Park St from Dolau Church, Rhyader and various correspondence reveals that the terms and conditions of employment were certainly not up to the standard of today. When making enquiries regarding Sundays off, he was told that he would have to supply his replacement at his own cost of 25 shillings (£1.25p) and also provide accomodation if necessary. There also seemed to be some disagreement among the deacons regarding procedure. Did this reflect on his ministry? Was this the reason that he was only there for 2 years?
Rev A Rees-Morgan 1912-1930
Rev. Abraham Rees-Morgan came to the Pastorate of New Park St in 1912 after almost 3 years without a minister and still holds the record for the longest service in ministry in the church having completed over 17 years. During this time he served as Padre to the forces in the Middle East during WW1 and was awarded the Military Cross. As evidenced by the account of his farewell service on the 17th February 1930, he had worked hard in all aspects of his ministry and had seen considerable growth both in New Park St and Baker St Mission. Rev Rees-Morgan had accepted a call to Calvary Baptist Church in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania, USA.
Rev.B.J. Morgan 1931-1942
After a period of just 18 months without a minister, Rev. Morgan accepted the call to New Park St coming from Hawthorn Baptist Church, Rhydyfelin, Pontypridd.
Rev. Haydn Thomas 1943-1950
Rev. Thomas came to the church in the middle of WW2. It would appear that the war years had caused disruption at all levels within the church and the town. After the war, it became evident from minutes of meetings that some catching up needed to be done both spiritually and practically. In 1945 and 1946 attention was drawn to the practical matters of both the church and Baker St Mission and an extensive review of membership over the war years was undertaken.
Rev Haydn Thomas with a young Bill Everett
Rev. Ionawr Williams 1951-1954
Rev. T.Brynmor Hughes 1954-1966
Reverend Brynmor Hughes was inducted into the Pastorate of New Park St on 15th May 1956. It was during his ministry that the church celebrated its centenary and he was responsible for the publication of the 'Centenary Book' which has proved to be a great source of past memories.
Rev Glyndwr James 1970-1975
Rev. James came to Holyhead from Cinderford in Gloucestershire on the 10th January 1970 but due to ill health in both himself and his wife, he resigned in 1975.
The above picture shows from left to right the Pastor and deacons of the church in the early '70's
Fred Williams; Bill Everett; Pastor Glyndwr James; Ken O'Hanlon and Douglas Morgan
Rev. David Hawkins-Lewis 1976-1982?
Rev. Hawkins-Lewis was ordained into Christian Ministry and inducted into the Pastorate of New Park St on the 4th December 1976. In 1978 he married Miss Barbara Ann Davies in Mold Baptist Church. He remained here in ministry until approximately 1982.
Rev. Ivor Coleman 1986-1988
Rev Coleman came to the church from Cheddar in Somerset on the 1st March 1986 and accepted a call to a church in Preston in October 1988. It was a short pastorate but probably the one that began the refurbishment of the church over the next twenty-five years.
Rev. Maldwyn Jones 1989-1991
Rev. Jones came from Cwmcarn in Gwent on the 10th June 1989 which gave just a brief interlude between ministers. 1989 was the year that saw the completion of the building of the new toilet block plus other minor renovation. In 1990 the interior of the church had a complete repainting. There had also been some growth in the church with several new members being added to the fellowship. In 1991 Rev. Jones had to resign due to ill health.
Rev. Graham Williams 1992-1999
Rev. Williams came to Holyhead from Bentley Baptist Church near Doncaster, the induction service being held on March 21st 1992. It is noted in the church records that the membership was remaining steady at around 50 members. It was at the beginning of this ministry that the schoolroom floor was renewed and the schoolroom redecorated. Another great challenge faced the church, namely the re-roofing of the building. By working together, acquiring grants and taking a loan from the Baptist building Fund, the church was able to undertake this expensive but necessary project under the leadership of Rev. Williams. In October of 1999 Rev. Graham Williams retired and went to live in Abergafenny.
Rev Graham Williams and Mrs Marian Williams with some young people visiting Holyhead from Gainsville Baptist Church in Florida U.S.A.
Rev. Howard Jones 2000-2005
Rev. Howard Jones was ordained into Christian Ministry in Griffithstown, his home church, and inducted into the Pastorate of New Park St in September 2000. The spiritual life of the church has remained buoyant throughout as has the practical life. During 2002 the focus was placed on renewing the windows at the front of the church which was the first step in renewing all of the windows in the building. The church has also produced it own 'Safe to Grow' policy in line with national guidelines and legal requirements. Rev. Jones accepted a call from Socketts Heath Baptist Church, Grays, Essex and completed his ministry here on December 31st 2005.
Reverend Howard Jones and Mrs Linda Jones at their farewell party in the church.
Rev. Clive Alder 2008-2017
Rev. Alder came to New Park St from Montrose Baptist Church, the induction service taking place on the 1st March 2008. Pastor encouraged the spiritual life of the church with much outreach into the community concentrating on building a strong relationship with the local school, Ysgol Y Parc, and supporting Cytun, Churches Together, in Holyhead. The church underwent a period of renovation with the front of the building being re-rendered and painted and lastly the old pews were removed and replaced with comfortable chairs which led to greater flexibility of use. This featured in 2011 when the church celebrated its 150th anniversary, the main church being an open space to feature exhibits and other matters of interest for visitors. This space has been used on many occasions for Childrens Club activities and services with the local school children. Rev Alder retired on 30th April 2017 and went to live in Montrose.
Reverend Clive Alder and Mrs Kathleen Alder at their leaving party in the 'Driftwood' in Treaddhur Bay